Margin Art: Art From The Dutch Diaspora – Teaser Expo
Margin (Art & Media) curates a space where the voices of the artists are heard. The exhibition is centralised from personal stories of the artists.
The focus lands include Suriname, Aruba, Rwanda, Indonisia, Curacao, St. Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius, Saba, Zanzibar (Mozambique) and Australia.
The artistic contribution of these countries has been immense. Present day art institutions in the Netherlands & beyond have been shaped by the regions’ colour, glamour and artistic fluidity; as well as underpinning the GDP of the Dutch Caribbean Islands. (GDP of US$ 8.911 billion (2018)).
The international artists spanning three generations are:
– Lubaina Himid CBE
– Heri Dono
– Nelson Carrilho
– WinklaarWorks-Shahaila Winklaar
– Emeke Buitelaar
– Harley Davelaar
– Allen Barker
– Roosje Verschoor
– George Struikelblok
– Agnès Uwase Nt
– Nora Kastein
Did You Know:
– Lubaina Himid CBE won the Turner Prize.
– Allen Barker has a permanent collection in the Boijmans van Beuningen Museum.
– George Struikelblok represented Suriname in the Biennial in China.
– Heri Dono is a leading contemporary artist and the first Indonesian to break into the global art scene.
– Nelson Carrilho makes sculptures and monuments for the public space like the Vondelpark, Westerpark and the mountain Arrarat in Curacao.
– Roosje Verschoor exhibited worldwide.
– Emeke Buitelaar came second in the competition Dutch “artist of the year”.
– Shahaila Winklaar is a finalist in the Dutch Annual Art Fair 2019 and she works with
the sensational blackest black pigment.
– Harley Davelaar sculptures are world famous.
– Agnes Uwase Nteziryayo is a Chelsea Flower Show winner.
– Nora Kastein is the first woman to hold an exhibition in the Sahara Desert.
Enjoy the styles, colour and vitality of international art at its finest.
Part of Rotterdam Art Week
STIMULATING ART: www.margin-am.nl